Tom Yam: The far-eastern way of life accessible to all
Tom Yam, a concept? Well, a great idea at the very
least for having the courage to open up a catering restaurant
in the heart of the student neighbourhood, a restaurant
full of ambitions, such as offering quality Thai cuisine
at reasonable prices, a home delivery catering service
that was far superior than the standards of the time,
providing a sophisticated setting in a laid-back atmosphere,
and lastly, the ambition of never resting on its laurels!
A few key dates
• January 1990: Cyrus opens up Tom Yam, the capital’s
first affordable Thai restaurant.
• March 1990: Launch of the home delivery service.
At last an alternative to the dominating pizza! It was
an immediate success.
• February 1995: « Operation Twingo »;
cars displaying the Tom Yam colours and adorned with
the traditional dragon drive through the streets of
• July 1999: The place gets bigger! A state-of-the-art
kitchen is built on the lower floor. Something never
seen before in oriental restaurants: customers can visit
• January 2000: Transformation work inside the
restaurant; the « Temple of Lanna » area
• May 2001: The « Royal Lounge » is
created on the upper floor, a new area of elegance and
sophistication, as well as an art gallery. An exceptional
setting for private events.
• April 2002: The « Asian Corner »
is launched, with dishes made of organic products.
• March 2003: « Easy Deli », a range
of meal trays displayed in cases, ready to be served.
• January 2004: The www.tomyam.com web site is